Inspired by the changing weather and a viewing of the documentary Minimalism, the Soda Pop PR team has been on a mission to declutter. There’s nothing like a serious office deep clean to fill your space with new creative energy and calm. In the spirit of the season, here are a few tips to help you kick off your own spring cleaning efforts.
1. Pump the Jams: Every decluttering party needs a soundtrack. Upbeat jams and karaoke favorites work best and that happens to be where our music taste intersects in the SPPR office so we took the liberty of making you a little playlist. Crank it up and let the cleaning begin!
2. Eliminate Paper: Stacks of paper or overflowing filing cabinets are pretty much the opposite of the minimalism philosophy, not to mention anxiety provoking! We love using free apps like Genius Scan or Evernote Scannable to turn piles into PDFs and take our files digital (not to mention eliminating the need for a scanner/fax machine.) This is also a good opportunity to round up all of your bills and take them up on their “if you’d like to go paperless” option.
3. Purge: It wouldn’t be a spring cleaning roundup if we didn’t talk about the holy grail of decluttering: purging your closet. This subject is well covered ground and there is plenty of great advice out there (looking at you The EveryGirl) so we’ll leave you with just one piece: don’t be overly sentimental. The memories of your sister’s wedding will live on long after you’ve passed the dress you wore to it on to a new home.
4. Do a 30 Day Challenge: We’ve all been there. You wake up one Sunday morning in project mode but by noon you’re sitting in a sea of your possessions and you’re over it. Rather than dedicating an entire day to spring cleaning, try tackling one task daily for a month. This Refinery29 list of 15 things to throw away is a great place to start if you want to work up to that big closet purge.
5. Start Meditating: Now that you’ve cleaned out your physical space, it’s time to let go of everything you’ve been holding on to mentally. If you’ve always been interested in the benefits of meditation, spring is the perfect time to start a 21-day challenge with Oprah’s BFF Deepak or check out one of the many helpful meditation and mindful apps like Headspace.