Memorial Day – and the start of summer – is nearly here, and with the glorious three-day weekend comes barbecues and potlucks galore. We think these Lollipop Pies are the perfect accompaniment to your next party – they’re bite size, sweet, and just plain adorable. You can make them any flavor you like, but we suggest cherry or blueberry jam inside a flakey pie crust topped with a generous sprinkling of sugar!
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, chilled
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
½ cup jam or jelly (we suggest cherry or blueberry)
1 egg, beaten
turbinado sugar for dusting
1. Make your pie crust: combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Cut half the butter into pea-sized pieces and work quickly into flour mixture.
3. Cut in the remaining butter, this time in larger pieces (a little smaller than dime-sized)
4. Sprinkle about three tablespoons of of the ice water over the flour/butter mixture and mix just until the dough begins to mass. You may need to add additional tablespoons of ice water for this to occur.
5. Remove the dough mass to a flat surface, divide into two equal portion and flatten into rounds. Cover in plastic wrap and let chill for at least 1/2 hour before rolling out and creating your crust.
6. When dough is chilled, preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Then, roll out your dough into a rectangle, starting with half the dough. Using a 2-inch circle cookie cutter, make roughly 16 circles out of your dough.
7. On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, lay out half your dough circles. Fill each one with a scant teaspoon of jam or jelly.
8. Place a lollipop stick directly in the center of each circle and top with the other piece of dough. Crimp each edge using a fork, making sure to seal all sides.
9. Repeat steps 6 through 8 with the other piece of dough, making roughly 16-20 lollipop pies.
10. Brush the top of each pie with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
11. Place the pies into the oven for about 15 minutes. Let cool completely before serving on a platter or in a jar.
Enjoy – we hope you have a wonderful three day weekend!